AllFacebook has listed 10 privacy settings they recommend if you worry about how your personal details are shared with the public. The settings are listed below, together with my comments:
- Use Your Friend List – This is just grouping friend according to your own social circles, and you can apply privacy policies to each group. Makes sense since not all friends are created equal.
- Remove Yourself From Facebook Search Results – This prevents people finding you on Facebook, good for school teachers etc.
- Remove Yourself From Google – This prevents Google indexing your details. I believe this is a good thing, sometimes Google knows too much about about people.
- Avoid the Infamous Photo/Video Tag Mistake – This setting lets you control who can see photos of you.
- Protect Your Albums – This is similar to item 4, it also limits who can see your photos.
- Prevent Stories From Showing Up in Your Friends’ News Feeds – It basically stops gossip.
- Protect Against Published Application Stories – Some Facebook applications are silly and embarrassing, this tip explains them.
- Make Your Contact Information Private – You can control who gets to see your phone number, email address, etc
- Avoid Embarrassing Wall Posts – You can prevent friends posting embarrassing things on your Facebook wall.
- Keep Your Friendships Private – You can prevent others seeing your friend list.
The article explains these 10 things in great detail, with screen shots. It’s easy enough for anyone to follow. Read it here.