A company called AV Test has been testing Google and Bing, and has found that Google is better with filtering out dangerous websites.
They tested 10.9 million searches on both search engines and found that:
- Google included 272 websites that were infected with malware
- Bing included 1285 websites that were infected with malware
This is bad. If you’re searching for something, both Google and Bing test every website and hide any website that have been infected. This protects you from clicking on a website with malware. They found that Google is better at filtering infected sites. So if you want the best security possible, do your searches in Google. Full details here.
Other tips I can add are:
- Use Google’s Chrome browser. It’s fairly good at blocking malware and resisting hacks
- Keep your computer updates (e.g. run Windows Update frequently)
- use a good antivirus program
- be cautious what you click on
- don’t believe everything you read in Facebook, emails, Twitter, etc